CLICK HERE FOR INDEX PAGE
PRODUCT ANALYSIS - HOMEMADE DVD / CD STORAGE UNIT
V. Ryan © 2007
Product analysis involves looking closely at existing products and identifying how they work, the materials they are made from, the industrial processes used to manufacture them and their key features. It may also involved the designer asking the general public or potential customers what they think of the product. The aim of product analysis is to help the designer develop even better designs and products in the future.
A sample DVD / CD storage unit is seen below. Study it carefully and then read through the product analysis below.
|WHAT PRODUCT ANALYSIS TELLS US ABOUT THE DVD / CD STORAGE UNIT|
|1. The product
is made from MDF.
2. It is relatively light and tough, able to withstand being dropped and accidentally knocked. It is impact resistant.
3. It will hold both DVDs and CDs.
4. It is a basic colour scheme. the sides have been dyed as well as the dowel rod holding it together.
5. The DVD / CD covers or cases can be seen very easily. The titles can be seen with ease.
6. It is stable and well balanced, it will not topple over even if pushed from the side.
7. It is safe as there are no extremely sharp edges, they are all slightly rounded to protect hands and fingers.
8. It can be manufactured through traditional woodworking techniques or CNC machines
9. It fits on a standard table without taking up too much room.
10. It will only hold 6 DVDs or CDs. This is not good use of space as most people own many more DVDs and CDs.
11. It is an interesting and individual design and a range of designs could be produced based on different animals or natural shapes.
12. It is relatively cheap to manufacture.
|WHAT PRODUCT ANALYSIS TELLS US - POSSIBLE IMPROVEMENTS|
1. Better use of space
needs to be considered. For instance, the unit needs to store more DVDs